Want to impress the missus with an Italian dinner by candlelight that is not only delicious but also deceptively easy to make and full of healthy sperm friendly superfoods? Read on, brother… we got you.
- Chicken (2-3 breasts or 4-6 boneless skinless thighs)
- A bunch of asparagus
- 2-3 large portobello mushrooms
- Diced pancetta or bacon (optional)
- Chopped garlic
- Butter or olive oil
- Chicken stock
- Parmasean cheese
Make it in less than 20 min
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and brown in pan. Add a small amount of chicken stock to help keep it moist. TIP: chicken breast can dry out easily if it gets over cooked. If you are new to cooking, theighs are more forgiving.
- While waiting for chicken to cook, begin boiling water for noodles. Then chop mushrooms and asparagus.
- Remove cooked chicken and place in bowl. Add a tsp of butter or oil to pan, a heaping spoonful of chopped garlic, panchetta or bacon if desired and basil. Add veggies and allow them to cook until soft.
- Add noodles to boiling water. Cook 6-8 minutes until soft.
- Add chicken a little bit of milk and a cup of parmasean cheese. Cook until it looks and smells amazing.
- Serve to happy and very impressed wife.
Make it healthier…
If you want to step it up and make this recipe even healthier, here are a few ideas:
- Watch the fat: Use olive oil instead of butter. Or skip the fat all together and just simmer in reduced sodium chicken stock. For milk, go skim.
- Lower the temp: cooking at lower temperatures can reduce damage to key nutrients. Keep veggies on the crunchier side to preserve integrity of nutrients
- Add more superfoods: Replace chicken with shrimp or clams. Add spinach, tomatoes or peppers.
- Choose noodles carefully: there are lots of healthy pasta options on the market that have lower glycymic load that can help you stay fuller longer and keep insulin from spiking. Or you can skip noodles all together and make this a super low carb meal.
Make it quicker…
Life is busy. Cooking can be hard to get to. But home cooked food can be a lot better for you than eating out. Here are a few ways to knock prep time for this meal to as low as 5 minutes:
- Precooked chicken: rotisserie chicken or pre-grilled chicken breast will knock about 10 minutes off cooking time.
- Skip the noodles: This dish is just fine on its own. Added bonus of making it low carb. Who needs noodles anyways.
- Pre-chopped veggies: asparagus doesn’t really take much prep, but I’ve seen prepped veggie packs in the produce section.
- Canned Herbs: Garlic and basil can be purchased pre chopped, diced, minced or whatever. Just throw a spoonful in and you’re good to go.