What’s Up, Doc: When Should You See a Doctor for Testicular Pain

Generally, men don’t like going to the doctor. It’s like going to a mechanic, calling a plumber or asking for directions. Asking for help is hard, especially when it concerns something you feel you should have control over. It can be even harder to approach a doctor about below the belt issues. It can feel embarrassing, awkward and just downright weird. But major testicular issues rarely fix themselves, and seeing a doctor can often save you from health complications later on. When should you see a doctor for testicular pain? And what should you discuss with them?

When to See the Doc

It’s hard to know when exactly to see a doc. Is that pain in below the belt just a random twinge, or is it a sign of a more complicated problem? No one knows your body better than you, but it’s important to pay attention to the signs.

If you’ve been hit in the balls…

A below the belt hit is something every man dreads, but the pain of the impact should typically wear off in about an hour. If the pain lasts for more than a few days, you may want to get checked out by your general practitioner to ensure that there was no long-term damage. If you experience a fever, nausea, chills or blood in your urine, or sudden, severe pain, get to the doctor as soon as possible. This could be sign of a rare injury: testicular torsion or testicular rupture.

If you haven’t been hit in the balls…

If you were getting hot and heavy but didn’t ejaculate, your ball pain could simply be the result of blue balls. Normally, this pain lasts for about an hour and doesn’t have any long-term effects, so there’s no need to see a doc. However, if you had unprotected sex and are now experiencing ball-pain, it’s a good idea to see a doc and get tested, your ball pain could be a symptom of an STI.


What kind of testicular pain should I see a doctor about?

The urgency of seeing a doc is also highly dependent on the type of pain. Is your pain dull and aching, or sharp and stabbing? How sudden was the pain?

Sharp, sudden or severe

Get to Urgent Care as soon as possible. That type of pain is your body sounding major alarms that something is wrong.

Dull or Achy

If your pain is dull and achy, has been slowly been accumulating, or if you notice any lumps, bumps, bruising or swelling, it’s still important to see a doctor, but you have the ability make an appointment with your preferred health care provider.

Lumps, Bumps or Swelling

We’ve already covered the importance of checking yourself and how to do it here. If you notice any change in shape or size of your balls, especially if its associated with pain, it’s crucial to see a doctor, preferably your general practitioner.

Don’t know what to ask your doc when you get there? Check out our What to Ask the Doctor Checklist.

5 thoughts on “What’s Up, Doc: When Should You See a Doctor for Testicular Pain”

  1. Hello,

    Is it normal to experience pain after cessation of testosterone cyp and trenbolone therapy after seven months? Or will it go away on its own? Thanks.

Comments are closed.